Sexual Health Nurse (Casual)
HSHC is a non-profit, community-based sexual and reproductive health centre located in downtown Halifax, NS. We welcome over 10,000 clients through our doors each year and we are looking forward to creating a sustainable collaborative practice team in 2018.
Our vision: All members of our community have full, equal, non-judgmental and safe access to sexual and reproductive health care and education.
Our mission: Improve and optimize the sexual health of all members of our community, by providing high quality and caring services, and empowering clients to make healthy choices.
We are searching for nurses who support our organization’s mandate; are invested in offering high-quality, people-centered care, and are interested in working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
We are currently recruiting for one casual position (RN or LPN). Casual nursing staff are offered shifts on an as needed basis to help support nursing coverage during absences (e.g. vacations) and high demand times.
Members of the HSHC nursing team provide quality clinical services and support as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Duties and activities support a range of clinical needs related to sexual and reproductive health.
- Provision of non-judgmental, culturally sensitive, and confidential services
- Initiate and maintain client charts and ensure accurate record keeping
- Independent clinical decision making in consultation with medical staff
- Contribute to effective team relationships
- Ability to work within clinical guidelines
- Client assessment including medical and sexual history
- Asymptomatic wellness checks
- Management of uncomplicated sexual health problems
- HIV/STBBI testing and counseling
- Trans* health support
- Abortion counseling
- Provides interventions, treatments and authorized medicines within the context of standing orders
- Provision of client education
- Providing care for complex cases (e.g.: HIV clients)
- Referring patients with high needs appropriately
- Maintaining reportable STI information and liaise with Public Health (initiate partner notification as required)
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Must be a graduate of an approved nursing program (RN or LPN)
- Updated CPR certification
- Venipuncture skills (HIV/STBBI testing)
- Ability to administer injections
- Ability to administer immunizations
- Ability to dispense medication
- Triage skills
- Ability to work with clients in distress
- Ability to work in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary health team
- Critical thinking
- Attention to best practice standards related to the RN and LPN Competency Profiles
- Expectation of ongoing self-learning
Desirable Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- WPATH training
- Experience working in trans* health
- HIV/STBBI testing counseling skills
- Pregnancy options counseling skills
- Syphilis treatment training
- SANE training
- Experience working in mental health
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Experiencing reviewing and updating clinic-based policies and protocols
- Budget management skills
- A personal understanding and investment in supporting and protecting sexual and reproductive rights in Canada
- Familiarity with the non-profit sector
- Previous experience (1-2 years) working in a fast-paced clinical environment
- Familiarity with basic Microsoft programs and a willingness to learn new technologies
To apply: Interested candidates should apply online at Indeed.ca (link to posting below). Please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your knowledge, skills, and abilities, and why you want to work at HSHC.
Only applications accepted through Indeed.ca will be reviewed by the selection committee (no direct emails or hard copies please)
Competition Deadline: April 8, 2018 by 5:00PM
Physicians (Part-time & Locum)
Halifax Sexual Health Centre (HSHC), Halifax, NS