We offer a wide-range of on-site clinical services, typically by appointment. All services are provided by our experienced nurses and doctors.
Some things you should know about us:
- Our clinical services are free to with a valid health card. However, please note that Quebec health card holders have to pay for their visit (doctor’s fees only) upfront and then submit their receipts to their provincial health care system for reimbursement. Without a health card, fees will apply.
- We are youth-friendly and we do not require parental consent.
- Nova Scotia’s health insurance program (MSI) requires us to indicate the biological sex (Male or Female) of our clients. We understand that an individual’s gender identity may not be the same as their biological sex or that their biological sex may be a mixture of masculine and feminine characteristics. However, we do ask that clients let us know which sex (M or F) is listed on their health card for billing purposes. We will always make a note on a client’s file to clarify which gender they identify with and our staff will always address them in a manner that they prefer.
- Everything that happens in our clinic is totally confidential (Please note: There are a few exceptions to this such as our legal obligation to report known cases of child abuse to police and to report positive tests for certain sexually transmitted infections to Public Health. If you have any questions or concerns about these exceptions, please speak to one of our health care practitioners).
- Our office is wheelchair-accessible.
- Our office is scent-free.
- We accept payment (e.g. for birth control) by cash, debit, or credit. We do not accept private health plans (e.g. Blue Cross) except for military personnel. Therefore, if you are covered by private health insurance, it may be cheaper for you to buy your birth control at the pharmacy.
BOOKING AN APPOINTMENT
Booking an appointment with us is easy! Give us a call at 902.455.9656 ext. 0. You will be speaking with either a volunteer or a medical administrator. We cannot book appointments by email or Facebook. You cannot book an appointment for someone else, even if they are your partner or child. We will need to speak with them directly. To book, we will need your full name, birth date, phone number, and a very brief reason for your visit. That’s it! The person on the phone will outline anything you need to know to prepare for your appointment. For most general appointments, we run very short wait times! While this is not a guarantee, we can often book you in within 1-2 weeks from the day you call.
Make sure you bring your valid provincial health card with you to your appointment. Clients without health cards are subject to doctors and lab fees.
Are you a youth? You do not need parental consent for any of our appointments.
Don’t have access to or lost your health card? You are entitled to your health card information! Call MSI toll-free at 1-800-563-8880 (in Nova Scotia) or at 902-496-7008 from Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. We require the number and the expiry date. Another tip: take a picture of your card! You will never lose it again!
- PAP tests require no sexual intercourse or activity for 24 hours prior to the appointment.
- You cannot be on your period for a pap test. The best time for a pap is two weeks after the start of your last period.
- Oral, vaginal, and anal STI tests have no preparation.
- Penile urethral testing (urine test) requires no urinating for 2 hours prior to the appointment.
- While it is not mandatory, being on your period is actually best for IUD inserts!
- No unprotected sex for 7 days prior to the IUD removal.
- Be hydrated and have a healthy snack!
HOW TO TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR/NURSE
Our doctors and nurses have heard it all. There’s no need to be embarrassed or shy! We can best advise you when you are honest, detailed, and clear. Our medical staff works best when you tell a story; don’t just list your symptoms. If our medical staff interrupts you, it doesn’t mean that they’re not listening. They may just know where you’re going with your issue. Our appointments are usually 10-15 minutes. Feel free to use this time to ask us as many questions as you need.